Report a Computer Crime

If you have been a victim of a computer crime, there could be a lot of confusion, especially if the crime was initiated from another location or state. There are several avenues you can follow for investigative assistance:

  • You should first report the crime to your local police department or sheriff's office. Local law enforcement agencies respond to complaints from citizens within their own jurisdiction and are the first point of contact you should make.
  • If you have been a victim of an Internet crime, you should contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). Many computer crime cases involve multiple jurisdictions that may be outside of Colorado. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center have partnered to form the IC3. The IC3's mission is to address fraud committed over the Internet. Complaints involving a crime in Colorado are forwarded by the IFCC to local law enforcement agencies, where the victim of the crime and the suspect of the crime reside, for investigation. 
  • The Pueblo County Sheriff's High-Tech Crimes Unit does respond to computer crime complaints. If you have been a victim of a computer crime, and live in the county (not the city), please feel free to contact the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office Emergency Communications Center at 719-583-6250.

Reporting a Crime

Before reporting a crime to the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office, please refer to the Common Complaints section to see what avenues of assistance are available to you. Please explain in your call the type of crime you are reporting and as many details as possible, including any IP address information received and any evidence you may have collected. Please be as specific as possible.

We cannot use industrial-age policing tactics to investigate information-age crimes.